Batman is one of the most popular superheroes in history. His first appearance was in the May 1939 issue of the comic book Detective Comics from DC Comics. He is also called the Caped Crusader and the Dark Knight. His superhero partners over the years include sidekick Robin, Batgirl, police commissioner Jim Gordon, and Alfred, his assistant, and butler.
What are Batman’s Super Powers?
Batman has no superhuman powers but relies on high-tech gear, martial arts, and high intelligence. His special equipment for fighting crime is often stored in his utility belt. He can quickly retrieve items from his utility belt, including night vision goggles, grapple guns for climbing, bat darts, and batarangs (similar to a boomerang but shaped like a bat).
Batman’s most remarkable powers come from his assortment of super vehicles. The Batmobile is a car loaded with gadgets to help catch bad guys. He also has a batcycle, batboat, and batplane.
Batman’s costume also is made of unique material acting like armor. For example, his cape can spread like wings which can be used to glide down safely from heights.
Who is Batman’s Alter-ego?
Bruce Wayne is Batman’s average identity. Bruce is a wealthy Gotham City businessman. He can use his company’s technology and money to build his gear. Alfred is Bruce Wayne’s butler but also Batman’s assistant.
How did Bruce Wayne become Batman?
The exact story depends on the story you are reading or the movie you are watching. In recent movie episodes, Bruce Wayne’s family is killed by villains. Bruce winds up in Bhutan and joins a vigilante group called the League of Shadows. It’s here that Wayne becomes an expert in martial arts. Upon returning to Gotham City, Bruce avenges his parents’ deaths. He uses technology from his father’s company and hides in a cave near his mansion. Unfortunately, the cave is filled with bats. Something Bruce has been frightened of since childhood. He overcomes his fear of bats and names himself Batman.
Who are Batman’s Arch Enemies?
The two most famous villains are the Joker and the Penguin. Other villains include Two-Face, Poison Ivy, the Scarecrow, the Riddler, Mr. Freeze, and Catwoman.
- Joker – Batman’s arch-enemy. He is a bit crazy and looks something like a clown. He specializes in poison and explosives.
- Penguin – The Penguin is a criminal mastermind. He usually is surrounded by henchmen but can defend himself with his multi-function umbrella that can do many things, from enabling him to fly to shooting like a gun to becoming a flamethrower.
List of Batman movies and TV shows (non-animated)
- The Dark Knight (2008)
- Batman Begins (2005)
- Return to the Batcave (2003) (TV movie)
- Batman & Robin (1997)
- Batman Forever (1995)
- Batman Returns (1992)
- Batman the Movie (1966)
- Batman (1966-1968) (TV series)
- Batman and Robin (1949) (movie serial)
- The Batman (1943) (movie serial)
Fun Facts about Batman
- Batman and Robin together are called the Dynamic Duo.
- The police commissioner uses a spotlight that shines a bat symbol in the sky called the bat signal when he needs Batman’s help.
- In later stories, he never kills and never uses a gun.
- He is considered the greatest detective in the world.
- Bob Kane came up with the concept for Batman.
- He teamed up with Superman, who both know the other’s identity.
- In 1988, fans voted to have Jason Todd, the second Robin, die.