After six long years of cosmic threats and team-ups, Doctor Strange is finally back for his second solo movie. Stephen Strange has changed since he became the Sorcerer Supreme in his first solo movie, released in 2016. Unfortunately, his failed attempt to cast a spell opened up the chaos of the infinite multiverse in his recent film Spiderman No Way Home, which means things will get a little complicated for the sequel.
To help you prepare for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, we came up with a list of movies and TV Shows you should watch.
The first two lists are what you should watch if you hope to pick up on all the important stories of Doctor Strange’s latest adventure. They’re not necessary for understanding the story, but watching these six movies, two series, and two episodes will help quite a bit. The last section is optional, but it has a few of our best (and most ridiculous) guesses about which cameos could be necessary.
DR STRANGE’S STORY, MOSTLY
This list is mainly about the journey of our Dr. Stephen Strange to Sorcerer Supreme, to where he is in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. So the list has his origin story, most prominent battles, and worst decisions. But it’s also got a few bonuses, like Loki, to help give you a crash course in Marvel’s multiverse and Doctor Strange’s animated What If…? episode, just to let you know how weird and bad things could get in the infinite realities.
|2||Avengers: Infinity War||2018||DIsney+Hotstar|
|6||“What If… Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?”||2021||DIsney+Hotstar|
|7||Spider-Man: No Way Home||2021||YouTube|
THE WANDA ESSENTIALS
Here is everything you need to catch up on Wanda Maximoff’s journey. This list might not answer all your multiverse queries, so it’s best if paired with Stephen Strange’s list above. This list also has an episode of What If…? that includes Zombie Wanda, which seems like it will be relevant to Marvel’s new movie.
|S. No||Movie/ TV show Name||Year||Source|
|1||Avengers: Age of Ultron||2015||DIsney+Hotstar|
|2||Captain America: Civil War||2016||DIsney+Hotstar|
|3||Avengers: Infinity War||2018||DIsney+Hotstar|
|5||“What If… Zombies?!”||2021||DIsney+Hotstar|
THE MULTIVERSAL OPTIMIST
This one goes a step beyond even the MCU completionists. Of course, you could watch all the Marvel movies again before Multiverse of Madness, but you already knew that. If you’ve made it this far, you’re looking for what non-MCU movies might be necessary this time around, so that’s what this list is. It’s our best guesses on the topic.
- X-Men: If Patrick Stewart is playing Professor X in this movie, it’s worth going back to watch the first time he took the role.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past: This is a bit of a catch-all for every X-Men universe we may or may not get in Multiverse of Madness.
- Fantastic Four: Given that Marvel has confirmed a Fantastic Four project, this could be a good way to introduce them. So watching the Fantastic Four movie could be beneficial.
- Deadpool: This one kind of explains itself. Deadpool could be in this movie.
- Inhumans: One of the last trailers for Multiverse of Madness directly mentions the Illuminati (a shadowy Marvel Comics cabal made up of the most intelligent and most politically powerful superheroes), so it is possible we could see a cameo (or more) from a prominent member of the Illuminati, Black Bolt, king of the Inhumans. Black Bolt also happened to have been the star of Marvel’s 2017 Inhumans TV series, which was canceled after one season.